Ways to improve nasal congestion
- Posted on: Apr 15 2022
If you are one of the millions of people who suffer from nasal congestion, you know how difficult it can be to get through the day. Whether you are trying to go to work or school, or just trying to take care of your daily tasks, nasal congestion can make everything more difficult. Dr. Payam Daneshrad of the Daneshrad Clinic is an ENT and facial plastic surgeon in the areas of Santa Monica and Torrance, CA who can educate you on ways to improve nasal congestion and clear the airways.
Below are just a few recommendations he can make for relieving congestion that interferes with your day-to-day life:
- Use a nasal saline rinse. This is a great way to clear out the nasal passages and loosen up any mucus that may be clogging them. Dr. Payam Daneshrad recommends using tools such as a neti pot or special sinus rinse kits to get relief from thick and clogged nasal passages.
- Take over the counter decongestants like pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine. These medications can help to shrink the swollen nasal tissues and clear out your nasal passages.
- Use a humidifier. A humidifier can add moisture back into the air and help to loosen any mucus that may be blocking your nasal passages and making it difficult to breathe through the nose.
Steps you can use to avoid nasal congestion
In addition to relieving nasal congestion, sometimes prevention is key!
Below are a few recommendations from Dr. Payam Daneshrad in regards to keeping nasal congestion from developing in the first place:
- Avoid exposure to cigarette smoke and other pollutants.
- Drink plenty of fluids to keep nasal secretions thin.
- Use a nasal filter when outside in cold weather.
- Keep your head elevated when sleeping to help drainage.
How do I learn more about nasal congestion?
Whether you already deal with chronic congestion or need answers as to why congestion has continued, it is essential to consult with a medical professional who can evaluate you and provide an effective diagnosis and treatment options tailored to your unique needs. Call Dr. Payam Daneshrad of the Daneshrad Clinic at (310) 453-6500 to request an appointment at one of his two convenient office locations. He is an experienced and board certified orolaryngologist that offers a wide range of services for new and returning patients.
Posted in: Nasal Congestion Treatment